Saturday, October 6, 2007

I realized this morning while looking out my window onto the suburban street below and saw a police car go by that I find it comforting seeing them patrol the streets here. This is a contrast to the way I used to see them back home while living in an especially "bad" section of town. It's a social-race perception thing by the cops. At my previous place of residence, cops were always patrolling the block I was on, which was 70% black or so, and on my block my husband, roommate and me were the only white individuals. The cops would watch us where ever we went, and one (out of several) times I or my husband and I got locked out of our apartment due to a misunderstanding of whether to bring our keys or not, one of the cops pulled over and almost got out to come speak with us but my roommate's girfriend pulled up just in time to unlock the door. We didn't feel welcome at all by the cops, I figure most of them thought we were just there to get crack or something. Here, on the other hand the policemen don't give me a funny look, like I'm not supposed to be here, because its reasonable I guess. Profiling...anyways, I've gotta head off to work now.

1 comment:

BerryBird said...

My attitudes towards seeing police have changed over the years, too. I used to sort of fear them, like they were coming after me or something (which was rarely the case). More and more often now I find their presence comforting.