Thursday, September 13, 2007

Skitz

So this is my rat Skitz. I think my roommate inspired the name, because he was very skittish when we took him home from the pet store about two weeks ago. Most of the time he just sleeps (except when I want him too some times - like at night) and thats ok for me because I don't have much time to bring him out of the cage to play. He's good behaved and actually eats the rat blocks I gave him, probably because I haven't gotten him addicted to junk food yet like I did with my previous pet rat Spaz. Spaz was a huge rat, and I wonder if this one will get as big because he still only a few months old. Which would be fine for me, but I would need to definitely invest in a larger cage. The one thing that worries me is that he is the first albino rat I've had before, and I don't know how much of a difference that makes in terms of survivability to illnesses and colds. He's got a cold right now anyways - sneezing, stomach problems etc. But I'm pretty sure he'll be fine within a week or so.

3 comments:

BerryBird said...

This is a great shot! Skitz is adorable. Does he like to be handled? He looks totally huggable. I hope his cold clears up soon.

jo(e) said...

I am surprised by how cute he is. I never thought of rats as being cute ....

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love rats--pet ones, anyway. I've had several of them.

One time, I was riding up an elevator and one of my white rats was riding on my shoulder under my hair--I was working a summer job in a hospital and usually took the freight elevator but it was being used to move freight, so I took the regular elevator. Suddenly, everyone started screaming and backing away from me and I had no idea why until I looked down and the rat who had been completely hidden by my long hair had poked out his head to look around.

I hope Skitz gets better soon. Rats are very loving if they gets lots of love.